- This event has passed.
2016 KCPC Above the Influence-Kent County Youth Summit
May 6, 2016
The Above the Influence [ATI]-Kent County Youth Summit is a Generation Y and Z-driven conference powered by the Kent County Prevention Coalition. Birthed out of a vision to empower community youth, The Summit is designed to equip middle and high school youth to think critically about personal choices and future ambitions, emerging community health and wellness trends related to underage substance use/misuse, and the power community teens have individually and collectively to impact peers, family and community norms and the world by making a personal commitmentto live Above the Influence. Witness the ‘Summit Experience’ at: https://youtu.be/EGjQioWs_lU
The Summit is designed to:
- Engage youth in being visible, valuable, and vocal to underage substance use prevention efforts in Kent County
- Champion the voices and engagement of youth in the work of underage substance use prevention
- Understand the underage substance use issues and emerging trends in Kent County
- Understand the underage substance use issues and emerging trends in Kent County Understand the underage substance use issues and emerging trends in Kent County
- Develop adolescent leadership skills and talents
- Foster relationship-building among teens across the county, state, and region
- Create opportunities for youth to engage community leaders and elected officials
- Use innovation, art, technology, and media to deliver prevention messages
SIGNIFICANCE OF THE 2016 ‘BE THE HERO’ THEME:
Members of the ATI-Kent County Youth Coalition decided upon ‘Be the Hero’ as the 2016 conference theme. Oftentimes, we have an idealized picture of what a hero looks or acts like, however, a hero is someone who is admired for their noble qualities such as courage and outstanding achievements. Be the Hero is an anthem which declares that all youth have the capacity to be a hero in their own rite. Be the Hero is a declaration of the collective power of this generation to take a stand as everyday heroes and to drive positive change in our community, while transforming health and wellness trends and overcoming pop culture messages that suggest that alcohol, tobacco and other drugs are not harmful. Ultimately this year’s the me speaks to Summit 2016’s goal of empowering and equipping every attendee to excel individually, lead socially, and revolutionize their families, schools, and community by living Above the Influence.
Click Here to Download Registration Packet